The Lotus silk challenge is a Cultinno social challenge. In recent years, high quality Lotus stem fibre silk products have found patronage globally. It is a natural product, a vegan substitute to silk derived from silk worms, and has attributes of being lightweight and thin. It is an expensive fibre selling at upto 10x the cost of silk by weight.
Total Prize Money
Lotus silk is currently a labour intensive production and made by hand. Thus the quantity produced is less. The supply constraint is one of the reasons for it being prohibitively expensive for masses.
There are 3 stages to making a lotus silk yarn:
- Extraction of lotus stem from the lake / reservoir
- Extraction of Silk Fibre from Lotus stem
- Spinning the fibre into a yarn
Expectations from the Innovation :
Define the process and provide a detailed design of a machine which can align the stems, extract fibre from the stems and weave a yarn from the extracted fibre. The machine may work in stages but should not require more than 1 operator.
- The machine’s output should be at least 500 gms of yarn per day.
- The cost of the machine should not be more than INR 200,000. /-
- The machine should not require more than one operator to manage it.
- Total Prize Money – INR 3,35,000
- Winner – Rs 3,00,000/-
- Top 7 Teams – Rs 5,000 each
- Top 7 Teams will each get a certificates & Badges of “Cultinno Innovator”
- Great opportunity to journey through the process of innovation, talk to mentors, webinars with experts, learn about serial innovators & Design Thinking
- Network with the Innovators’ community and get early access to future challenges
- Be visible on Cultinno’s social media and be scouted by partner companies.